Belly Dance classes and private lessons in Arlington
Mixed Level Class - Technique and ConceptsThis class is for intermediate student through beginning professional belly dancers (any style - experience in Turkish style is not required) who are looking to deepen their technique and explore concepts like stage presence, improvisation, and musicality.
When: Mondays 7pm-8pm
Currently:Hips and Feet (ends Aug 14th)
In this session we'll be working from the feet up - training your feet in patterns of movement for weight shifts, travelling, and adding texture to your dance. We'll then be layering these patterns with hip and pelvic work and creating full body moves.
Up next: Oryantal 9/8 (Aug 28 - Oct 23 - note no class Labor Day Sept 4)
Music in the 9/8 time signature (often called "karsilama" by American belly dancers) is one of the most distinctive aspects of a Turkish Oryantal show. In this session we'll cover finger cymbal rhythms, foot patterns, hip and pelvic work and more, to bring this lively rhythm to life.
Where: "Studio Tashkin" - Aslahan's home studio in Arlington Center. Address sent upon registration. (**NOTE: This home has cats. If allergies are an issue for you, take preventative measures or contact us about possible alternate arrangements.)
$120 for an 8-class punch card - or - $18 drop-in (space permitting)
Please contact Aslahan at or 781-859-9606 to register.
What to wear/bring
- Wear something comfy, like yoga pants, and a crop top, tank top or tshirt that isn't too loose. (No skirts, please - it's important for the teacher to be able to see what your knees are doing.)
- Bring a shawl or scarf (nothing with coins, please - they are just too noisy) to tie around your hips. (Some loaners available.)
- Dance shoes or leather-soled slippers are fine if you prefer not to dance barefoot.
- Bring zills and veil if you have them.
- A water bottle and a notebook are often useful to have.
Private and Semi-Private LessonsFocus on a particular topic or area of your dancing, or speed up your dance education.
Held at "Studio Tashkin" - Aslahan's home studio in Arlington Center. Address sent upon registration. (**NOTE: This home has cats. If allergies are an issue for you, take preventative measures or contact us about possible alternate arrangements.)
Private rates: $65 per hour, or $150 for a package of 3 1-hour private lessons
Semi-private rates (2 people): $40 per person per hour, or $90 per person for a package of 3 1-hour semi-private lessons
Contact Aslahan at or 781-859-9606 to set up a lesson.
Private lessons via SkypeNot local to Boston but have a good internet connection? You can take private lessons or coaching via Skype's video call feature.
$65 per hour, or $150 for a package of 3 1-hour private lessons
Contact Aslahan at or 781-859-9606 with questions or to set up a lesson.
Thank goodness for technology! I love that I can get one-on-one instruction on the intricacies of Turkish Bellydance from Aslahan every month without having to hop on a plane. She breaks down moves in memorable ways and is always open to diving more into the background of steps and gestures, which the geek in me loves. After just a few Skype lessons I saw an improvement in my presentation of Turkish style bellydance.
Class policiesGroup Classes
- Please arrive on time or ahead of time for class. Studio policy is doors are open 15 minutes prior to the start of class. If you are late please enter quietly and do your warmup in the back of the room.
- Space is limited - please contact Aslahan via phone, text, or email if you cannot make it to class.
- Please come to class prepared to learn. Dance class should be fun, but excessive chatter or socializing can be distracting to other students and prevents us from using class time effectively.
- Please allow the instructor to do the instructing. As much as you want to help your fellow students, please do not attempt to help teach unless requested.
- Please observe proper hygiene and limit perfume use - we will be dancing and sweating in a small space :)
- Please notify Aslahan asap if you need to cancel or reschedule a private lesson, or if you are running late. Be aware that private lessons must end at the scheduled time even if you arrive late.
- First-time private lesson students are required to pay online for classes a minimum of 24 hours in advance.
- 8-class punch cards can be purchased online or in person (via cash, check, credit card, or paypal). Cards are non-refundable, and expire 12 weeks from date of issue. (This gives you 4 weeks to make up a missed class in a session.)
- Drop-ins are allowed if a session is not completely filled with pre-registered students (space is limited). Please contact Aslahan before dropping in to make sure there will be space for you.
Buy a class card here: Info on music and other resources
Please confirm with Aslahan that there will be space before using this option: